Select Page

Lodi Township

Lodi Township is located in Washtenaw County, Michigan, just southwest of Ann Arbor. Established in 1834, three years before Michigan became a state, it was named after the Town of Lodi near New York State’s Finger Lakes.

Building in Lodi Township

Thinking of building or remodeling?

Township zoning compliance is required before Washtenaw County Building Department (WCBD) will issue a building permit. To receive township zoning compliance you will need:

  • An approved driveway permit from Washtenaw County Road Commission (WCRC) 761-1500.
  • A grading waiver/permit from Washtenaw County Soil Erosion & Sediment Control (WCSESC) 222-3900.
  • 3 copies of blueprints for project and 3 copies of site plan. Site plan needs to show the location of the project on the parcel and indicate the distance from the structure to all property lines. As well as placement of septic and well.
  • Set up a meeting with township zoning inspector (Bill Lindemann) for township approval. Call the zoning inspector, Bill Lindemann, at (cell) 734-320-4421 for an appointment. There will be a $25 charge for issuing an address and $50 charge for zoning compliance.

Plan Review

Submit the following to the Building Department:

  • Zoning Compliance Permit: This permit, including your property identification number from your tax statement, tells the Building Department that the location and use of your construction project has been approved by your township or village. It is not a permit to build. It is not an approval of your plans.
  • Two sets of plans signed and/or stamped by the Zoning Official: All plans must be drawn to scale, and must show footings, elevations, cross-sectional views, location of doors and windows, structural elements, and enough plan views to show what is being constructed (including floor plans). Before and after floor plans are also required for fire repairs, remodels or alterations to existing residential or commercial buildings. Plans must show dimensions and lumber sizes, spans and intervals. Lists of building materials and specifications will not be accepted in lieu of plans. Drawings that do not show lumber sizes and dimensions will not be accepted as plans.
  • Environmental Health Approval: Washtenaw County Environmental Health Division requires a Water Supply and/or Sewage Disposal Permit. Approval is either a permit or an addition review to approve the type of sewage disposal and/or water supply you plan to use. It is not a plumbing permit or sewer permit. It may be required for non-habitable construction, such as a garage or a deck. It is always required for habitable construction. For complete information, call Environmental Health at 734-222-3800.
  • Two complete site plans: Two site plans clearly indicating all structures, any setback, any new structures and any additions, location of well(s), drainfield(s), and drainfield expansion area(s), if applicable. Site Plans must show elevation markings, and where the water runoff will go. Site plans must be scaled at 1 inch equals 40 feet or larger.
  • Application for Building Permit (PDF): You must include the address where the construction will take place. A lot number is not sufficient. Specific directions to the site must be included. Note: The person who is applying for the permit must appear in person, or have a letter of authorization or power of attorney from the owner.
  • Revision Fees: If plan revisions are necessary, the same fees will be charged a second time, as applicable.

Additional Requirements

Other requirements, as applicable:

  • Architect Seal and Signature – Required for residential construction with building area in excess of 3,500 square feet.
  • Construction Classification and Use Group – Required to be shown on commercial plans.
  • Contractor’s License – Licensed contractors must bring their licenses and register them with Building Inspection (both company and individual if under a business name),. If a homeowner is doing the work, a homeowner affidavit must be submitted.
  • Occupant Load – For commercial plans where applicable.
  • Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Permit – If you are building within 500 feet of surface water (lakes, ponds, streams, drains, wetlands) and disturbing 225 square feet or more OR if you are disturbing more than one acre of land, you must have this permit. Earth changes less than 225 square feet in total earth disturbance may be eligible for a waiver. Contact the Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control program at 734-222-6860.
  • Structural Design Loads and Calculations – For all commercial plans.
  • Washtenaw County Road Commission Approval/Waiver – If a new driveway will be installed.


Plan Review Type Fee
Residential construction with construction costs under $20,000 $35
Residential construction with construction costs $20,000 or over $75 per hour
Commercial Plan Review $75 per hour

Storage Building Permits

Washtenaw County Building Department now requires a building permit for any structure over 200 square feet.

Township Setback Requirements

Agricultural zoned parcels (normally 2 acres NET (exclusive of the road right of way).

  • 100′ setback from center of the road
  • 50′ setback from the rear property line
  • 30′ setback from the side property line

R1 zoned parcels (normally subdivision lot or 1 acre in a more dense area)

  • 100′ setback from center of the road
  • 35′ setback from the rear property line
  • 25′ setback from the side property line



1. Who needs a permit?
Any individual or firm that will engage in the construction or alteration of any residential or commercial structure needs a permit. Permits are typically required for the following:

  • Accessory Buildings
  • Additions
  • Alterations/Renovations
  • Decks
  • Demolition
  • Electrical Systems
  • Manufactured Homes
  • Mechanical Systems (HVAC Systems – heating, cooling, air conditioning)
  • New Buildings
  • Plumbing Systems
  • Prefabricated Structures (storage buildings)
  • Swimming Pools / Hot Tubs

Projects that do not require a permit:

  • One story detached accessory structures (sheds, etc.), if the floor does not exceed 200 square feet
  • A fence less than 6 feet high
2. What type of permit do I need?
There are five different types of permits:

  • Building Permit – This permit is for the actual physical construction of the project. Building Inspections are required for this permit.
  • Electrical Permit – This permit is for all electrical work for the project. Electrical Inspections are required for this permit.
  • Low-Voltage Permit – This permit is for low-voltage electrical installations.
  • Mechanical Permit – This permit is for the HVAC (heating, cooling, air conditioning) systems. Mechanical Inspections are required for this permit.
  • Plumbing Permit – This permit is for all plumbing, including water supply wastewater lines. Plumbing Inspections are required for this permit.
3. How do I apply for a permit?
You generally apply for your permits when you submit your plans for Plan Review.
4. Why are permits necessary?
Permits allow the enforcement of the State Construction Code Act, which has been adopted by law. This provides the means for Building Officials to protect us by reducing the potential hazards of unsafe construction, therefore protecting the public health, safety and welfare. Before any construction or remodeling work begins, application for a permit must be made. Permits provide the means for Building Inspectors to inspect construction to ensure that minimum standards are met and appropriate materials are used. The unit of government which enforces the code is acting to assure safe construction.

Building Officials and inspectors use permits as a vital step in their enforcement of codes. You have an investment in the home or business you are about to build or remodel. When that home or business building does not comply with the codes, your investment could be reduced. Applying for a permit notifies the Building Official that you are constructing or remodeling a building so he or she can ensure code compliance.

5. Are there other agencies I may need to contact?
Obtaining a permit is a relatively simple process. If you are building a new structure or an addition to an existing structure you may need permits or waivers from:

Join the Lodi Township Email List

Keep in touch by joining our email list! It will be used for periodic mailings (like our newsletter) and occasional announcements. This list is for internal use only, and will not be shared with other organizations.

12 + 10 =